Barcelona, the vibrant city in Spain, is known for its beautiful architecture, stunning beaches, and lively streets. Before planning a trip to Barcelona in December, many people wonder if the city gets cold. In this blog post, we will explore the weather conditions in Barcelona during December and provide you with all the information you need to know.
Weather in Barcelona
December falls in the winter season in Barcelona, but compared to other European cities, Barcelona’s winter is relatively mild. Here are some important details about the weather in Barcelona during December:
- Average Temperature: The average daytime temperature in Barcelona during December ranges from 10 to 15 degrees Celsius (50 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Sunshine Hours: Despite being winter, Barcelona still enjoys around 5 to 6 hours of sunshine per day.
- Rainfall: December is one of the wettest months in Barcelona, with an average of 8 rainy days. So, it is advisable to pack an umbrella or raincoat.
Dressing for December in Barcelona
Considering the weather conditions in Barcelona during December, it is important to dress appropriately. Here are some tips on what to wear:
- Layers: Barcelona’s weather can be variable, so layering your clothing is a good idea. Start with a light base layer, add a sweater or jacket, and finish with a waterproof outer layer.
- Warm Accessories: Don’t forget to pack a scarf, hat, and gloves to keep yourself warm during chilly mornings and evenings.
- Comfortable Shoes: Barcelona is a city made for walking, so make sure to wear comfortable and sturdy shoes.
What to Do in Barcelona in December
Despite the cooler temperatures, December is a wonderful time to visit Barcelona. Here are a few activities you can enjoy:
1. Explore the Festive Markets
Barcelona is known for its lively markets, and during December, the city is adorned with beautiful Christmas markets. Visit the Fira de Santa Llucia or the Mercat de Nadal de la Sagrada Familia to experience the festive atmosphere, buy unique gifts, and indulge in delicious Catalan treats.
2. Attend Festive Events
Barcelona hosts various events and concerts during December to celebrate the holiday season. From Christmas parades to traditional dance performances, there is something for everyone. Keep an eye out for events happening in popular locations like Plaça de Catalunya and Montjuïc.
3. Visit Museums and Art Galleries
If you want to escape the cold weather, Barcelona offers a plethora of museums and art galleries to explore. The Picasso Museum, Joan Miró Foundation, and Barcelona City History Museum are just a few options to immerse yourself in art and culture.
4. Enjoy Spanish Cuisine
No visit to Barcelona is complete without indulging in the local cuisine. Warm up with a bowl of traditional Catalan soup or enjoy a cozy meal of paella. Don’t forget to try the local specialty, churros with hot chocolate, to satisfy your sweet tooth.
While December in Barcelona may not be warm and sunny like the summer months, it still offers a unique and enjoyable experience for visitors. With mild temperatures and festive activities, it’s a great time to explore the city and immerse yourself in its rich culture. Just make sure to pack appropriately and embrace the charm of Barcelona in winter!
Table of Contents